Originally built between 1824 -7 Canada House was designed as one building by Sir Robert Smirke. It was used, though, as two buildings each with their own entrance and facade. The Union Club was on the south side and the Royal College of Physicians on the north. The building is classical, both inside and out. The fine entrance separated by Greek Doric columns was unusual at the time and attracted much praise.

In 1923 the Government of Canada acquired the lease from the Union Club and contracted architect Septimus Warwick for the refurbishment. A new south portico and additional floors were added, as well as Canadian maple leaf designs. Canada House was opened in 1925 by King George V.

Contemporary photographs by Jeremy Young
Union Club
Westminster City Archive
Elevation drawing
RIBA Drawings Collection
Introduction | Changes to the Square | Virtual Tour | Visiting | History | Activity Centre