Admiralty Arch was designed and built as part of the national monument to Queen Victoria. Following Victoria�s death in 1901, Sir Aston Webb was given the job of improving the route for processions by building a monumental archway at the end of the Mall.

The building, completed in 1911, is dominated by three Roman archways of equal height and combines an entry into St James�s Park from Trafalgar Square with offices for Admiralty clerks. The two concave facades cleverly conceal the unavoidable change of axis from the Mall into Trafalgar Square.

Naval designs surround the building; even the street lamps are decorated with ships.

Perspective drawing by Sir Aston Webb
RIBA Drawings Collection
Contemporary photographs by Jeremy Young


Introduction | Changes to the Square | Virtual Tour | Visiting | History | Activity Centre